Isn’t it something how top brands continue to innovate, putting out the best of the best in their industry? When Apple releases a new iPhone, people line outside the store hoping to be one of the first to try this new product.
Successful companies and individuals are exceptionally skilled at recognizing opportunity and taking initiative to explore new frontiers. This bent toward open-mindedness plays a big role in setting industry leaders apart from competitors.
So how can we all better recognize and embrace future opportunities? Let’s start with three simple steps:
Think about the possibilities ahead
At the start of each month, each week, or even each day, take time to think about the opportunities ahead. Is there a new idea you’ve had but haven’t yet shared with your team? Has someone invited you to join a networking group? Do you see opportunities for a leadership role in the near future?
Don’t be afraid to think big and often. List all the many opportunities set before you and note anything that comes to mind.
Picture the outcome
Reflect on what it would mean to take advantage of these opportunities. If you were to take initiative and explore the possibilities you listed in step one, what would this mean for you, your team, or your business? Take them one at a time and think about the type of impact each opportunity would create.
Plan your journey
- Think about the why behind each new goal
- Write down the action steps needed to succeed
- Highlight an immediate action step you can take to start your journey
- Set SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, time-based)
- Share your goals and your plan with an accountability partner and ask for this person to help keep you on track