As we say farewell to this year’s Thanksgiving and flip our calendars to December, let’s take a moment to pause and dream.
“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” – Harriet Tubman
Why focus on dreaming this December?
As we know, a new year many times comes with new goals, resolutions, hopes, and dreams. Many times, though, we find ourselves excited to jump into a season of newness, we rarely take time to reflect on the previous year. This December, we hope you’ll take time to think back on 2017 and remember the progress you’ve made, the people you’ve met, the moments you’ve experienced, and the dreams you’ve brought to life.
Dream big, reflect often
Over the next few weeks, we’ll walk you through a few exercises to help you reflect on 2017, appreciate the past year, and create space to continue dreaming as you enter 2018.
This week’s challenge is to reflect:
Let’s start with a little exercise. Grab a pen and paper and get ready to think back through your year. As you reflect, write down:
- Any dreams you had entering into 2017, both big and small
- Any new dreams you discovered throughout the year
- Any progress made on these dreams
- Did you allow yourself to spend time dreaming with a dream-big perspective?
- Did you start planning it out?
- Did you take any action to move it forward?
- Did you turn this dream into reality?
- Did you forget, lose, or give up on this dream?
- Whether your progress is big or small, positive or discouraging, take time to write out as much detail about each dream and the actions you took (or didn’t take) towards them.
- Can I check this dream off my list?
- Is this dream still important to me?
- Am I feeling encouraged or discouraged about my 2017 dreams?
- If I never brought this dream into reality, would I feel regret?